Friday, January 21, 2011

First days of the rest of my life


Since I got here, I’ve been busy ALL THE TIME!  It’s been great…. except for now.  It’s 3:51am, (1:51pm back home), my mom just left to go back to the states, and I can’t sleep at alllllll!!!!  Because of the jet lag I get SUPER tired everyday here around 3-5 and it’s hard to sleep at night.  So I’ll take this moment to blog.
The first day I got here, I went to meet my “buddy” and he let me in to my dorm room! :)  It’s a little nicer than expected.  It’s not very big, but it’s perfect.  I have a very large desk where I’ll be doing A LOT of studying (sarcasm), a twin sized bed, and a closet.  It’s so plain right now though… wish I would’ve brought my jbeibs and kimk posters.
My roommate, Vanessa, is an art major from Wyoming.  She likes to eat, shop, travel, and try new things. We have many of the same interests!  She enjoys red wine and good cheese.  She’s a total hipster. Not only is she also obsessed with Harry Potter, but she quotes Lord of the Rings.  What more could I ask for?  However, she’s not a fan of Justin Bieber, but she agreed to give him a chance :)
view from my window
After seeing my dorm, I went to one of the thousand malls in Singapore and just ran errands.  I picked up my ezlink public transportation pass will bring me anywhere is Singapore by bus or the MRT, which is the subways system.  It’s really great and cheap.  I also had the famous Singaporean meal of chicken rice, which was very good.  I’m sure I’ll be eating a lot of it.
Later that night, Vanessa came with me and my mom to dinner at Clarke Quay (pronounced ’key’).  It is my favorite place in Singapore so far.  There are a bunch of restaurants right on the river and there is colorful lights everywhere!  We had thai food, which was nothing short of amazing.  The food here is wonderful.  Singaporeans love to eat.  After dinner we went to the Raffles Hotel to try the famous original ‘Singapore Sling’.  It was the sweetest cocktail ever and I can’t say I’m a huge fan.  It consists of gin, pineapple juice, grenadine syrup, club soda, cherry brandy, and probably some other sweet stuff.  The experience was neat, but I won’t be having any more Slings.  That concluded my first day in Singapore.
Me and Vanessa at Clarke Quay.
The original Singapore Sling.
The next day was just as eventful.  First, my mom, Vanessa, and I went to the Botanic Gardens where I took a million pictures of flowers.  It was beautiful and I am LOVING the weather here.  Then, we went to Orchard Road which is just a street of shopping!  It’s similar to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, but bigger.  In between running around the city, I swam and laid by the pool in the perfect 85 degree weather.  We also went to China town, which was decorated for the Chinese New Year in February.  The Chinese population here is large.
For those of you wondering what country Singapore is in, it is its own country.  It’s an island about the size of a county in the US with 5 million people packed on it.  In my book I was reading about Singapore, it said they love to shop, eat, and watch movies.  So far that’s proven true and those are three of my favorite things so I’m looking forward to it.  I keep forgetting that I’m here to go to school (which starts on Monday and I have no idea what classes I’m taking)…

No comments:

Post a Comment