Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Singapore Cinema Experience

Singaporeans love watching movies and going to the cinema.  Many people do it to get inside and cool off from the hot and humid weather outside (or the random down-pour that occurs daily).  I often justify going to the movies by telling myself it's a "cultural experience".  However, it doesn't really make sense to me as to why it's so popular.  From my experiences at the theatre, I've found that they are uncomfortably cold, LOUD LOUD LOUD, and I don't even get to pick my own seat.

Another thing that irks me a little bit is that mainstream movies come out much later than in the US.  The reason for this is the intense censorship process in Singapore, which focuses mainly on sexual, political, racial, and religious issues.  My roommate is taking an Asian film class and she learned that in Singapore, they won't allow movies that promote equal rights for same-sex couples.  The delay is also in part due to subtitling in Chinese.

I apologize if I'm getting annoying by talking about Justin Bieber all the time, but I'm going to see him in concert in ONE WEEK!  I'm just so excited.  Anyways, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never came out in the US on February 11th.  It comes out in Singapore tomorrow.  That's TWO MONTHS of delay.  What on earth could they possibly find offensive in a Justin Bieber movie?  (This question is meant to be a rhetorical question.  I don't want to hear your jokes about his music offending you haha)

I was able to see the Justin Bieber movie today in a "sneak preview" and needless to say I loved it, but I'll spare you the details.  I saw it by myself, which was actually a really fun and awkward experience.  I encourage you all to go see a movie by yourself.  When the movie first started I was SO excited and thought, "I wish someone was here with me to share the experience!"  Then, I ended up crying in the movie so I'm kind of glad I went by myself haha.

Well that's my 2 cents about movies in Singapore.  Speaking of money, the movies are cheaper by about $3 USD, if not more.  I plan on diverging from the mainstream movies and viewing an Asian movie soon.  They're pretty weird from what I've seen and heard from my roommate, but I guess it's all part of the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment